It's All About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN, United States
Primordial hardcore PC gamer, Love the FPS genre in video games such as Medal Of Honor and Call Of Duty, Artist, Musician(drummer & guitar), photographer, aquarist, non-sweater of the small stuff and lover of life! There are always weeds between the Roses...deal with it!

Followers

Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Fascination with WWII

As long as I can remember, I've always been fascinated with World War II. Maybe it was the comic books I was handed down with my older brothers, such as Sargent Rock or Sgt. Fury and his howling commandos. Either way, I have studied this war and its lasting effects to the world we live in even to this day.

I picked up model building from one of my brothers at a younger age. He still remembers the day I took his prized "Memphis Belle" B-17 model out to the back yard and blew it up with Black Cat firecrackers. But in my defense it was a little boy's imagination that took over and in my mind I was flying the B-17 over war torn Germany on the way to a bombing mission while trying to survive the horrible flak of enemy guns and dodging German Bf-109 fighter planes.
It was a glorious mission until a direct hit blew the plane in half.
I think my brother chased me around the house a dozen times theating bodily harm until I reached the safety behind my mother's apron in the kitchen. My mother didn't care about fairness or justice, she only cared about us being quiet and behaving, we both were spanked and sent on our way.
As I got older I read every book I could get my hands on about this war. In those days there were several shows on television such as , 12 O'clock High, Combat and Rat Patrol that were my favorites.
And who could forget the movies, John Wayne in Iwo Jima, Midway, Tora Tora Tora and too many more to mention.
I built just about every model I could find and afford, from tanks, trucks, jeeps, armored personnel carriers and of course airplanes. You name it, I bet I've built it. American, British, German, Japanese and Italian models were all represented.
I think it has almost gotten worst as I've grown older. With the introduction of my second obsession, video games.
The first WWII games I played were on the Sony Playstation. My favorite was Medal Of Honor, by far the best series in that genre. My second favorite was Call Of Duty, then later on I ventured on to Battlefield 1942.
With advent of cable television, I can now watch a even wide variety of programs suah as the History and Military channels.

No comments:

Post a Comment